This has been my go-to smoothie recipe since I started making them regularly a few months ago.
- 1 banana, sliced and preferably frozen
- A little bit of whatever other fruit is on hand (pineapple chunks, blueberries, strawberries [1 or 2], blackberries, raspberries, etc…), preferably frozen. I’ve also used red grapes, which worked better than I was expecting it would.
- 8 ounces faux milk (oat milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, …), preferably unflavored/unsweetened
- Big wad of nut butter (peanut or almond works well) preferably without added sugar
- Roughly 1 scoop protein powder (been using chocolate since it’s all we have on hand)
- A bunch of chia seeds (I just dump some in from the bag, but I suspect it’s around 1 or 2 teaspoons)
- Big handful of greens (usually spinach, but I’ve used parsley, and will try baby kale when we have some)
Blend everything up in the Ninja. If it’s too runny, add some rolled oats. If it’s too thick, add some more faux milk. Makes two small to medium smoothies, or one big smoothie.
- I’ve occasionally added plain Greek yogurt, and it’s not bad. It can be used either in addition to or in place of the protein powder.
- I’ve tried making them with romaine lettuce as the green vegetable. It works in a pinch, but I’m not crazy about the taste.
- I’ve also tried an apple as the second fruit, and it works, but I much prefer berries.