I decided to try a different smoothie recipe yesterday:
- Around 10 ounces almond milk (a little more than the recipe calls for, but I wanted to use up the carton)
- 2 red apples of some sort (probably Fuji or Gala), cored and quartered
- A bunch of spinach (recipe calls for 3 cups, but I didn’t measure)
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- Some honey (recipe calls for 2 tsp; again, I didn’t measure)
- 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- Several ice cubes
This recipe makes 2 smoothies, and I had to use the full-size Ninja blender to fit all of the ingredients. Prep time was longer than my usual go-to recipe, because the apples needed to be cored, avocado peeled/pitted, ginger peeled/chopped, and lemon squeezed.
I did not like this at all initially. It was way too lemony, and lacked any hint of sweetness. However, I liked it a lot better when I drank the second half the next day, I think partially because I wasn’t expecting it to taste sweet, and the lemony sourness had mellowed out somewhat. If I make this again, I’ll cut back on the lemon, and maybe add some cayenne pepper to give it a little kick. The recipe does lack a good source of protein, so I may try substituting Greek yogurt for some of the Almond milk, and/or adding protein powder.
I found another recipe that is very similar to this one, but adds a banana and omits the lemon juice. It might be worth trying that as well.