- Beans: Lost Dog “La Esparanza” medium/medium dark blend
- JX: 2.5 turns (75 total clicks, or 25 on the grind chart)
- 90°C water
- 15 grams coffee / 180 grams water (1:12)
- One new paper filter (pre-moistened)
- Recipe: 13g that makes you happy (inverted: add 35g water, stir to moisten grounds, top up to 180g at 0:30, stir gently 10x, flip at 1:30 and press very slowly, finishing at 2:30)
I thought I could get cute and eliminate the bloom phase of this recipe, but the result was two very bitter cups of coffee. For my afternoon cup today, I went back to following the recipe, again using 2 additional grams of coffee (as I’ve been doing with these beans) and proportionally more bloom water. The result was an almost perfect cup. I kind of get why the bloom is so important with pour-over, but I’m surprised that it made such a big difference with an AeroPress recipe, given that it doesn’t seem to matter much with the French press, and they’re both immersion brewing methods. Well, you learn something new every day. At any rate, I probably have enough of these beans left for 5 or 6 more cups, and I’ll probably stick with this recipe until they’re gone.